Who should attend, and why?
This one day workshop is for anyone facing a 1-1 conversation which might be tricky, and who wants a number of strategies, tools, tactic and skills to help them make such a conversation more successful.
By the end of this workshop you will
- know the circumstances likely to lead to a challenging conversation
- know the 3 key factors that are most likely to make a conversation challenging
- be able to identify, then skilfullly use, key tools and skills to improve your chances of making it less challenging
- appreciate how important attitude and feelings are to the effectiveness of any conversation
- What makes a challenging conversation challenging?
- Identifying the 3 most common factors (A, B & C)
- Factor A: why and how does it happen; ways of preventing or reducing its likelihood or impact
- Factor B: how and why does this happen, ways of removing the factor or minimising its consequence
- Factor C: why does it ‘go wrong’; what to do to prevent it going wrong
The workshop will be a mix of facilitator input, group discussion, a short video extract, practical activities, and feedback. The morning will by and large the principles: the afternoon – putting the principles into practice.
- “Trainer has excellent communication skills, very easy to respond to” (Manager, Merseycare NHS)