- disagreement is the essence of debate; debate is the essence of learning; learning is the essence of civilisation
These are a selection of quotations and sayings we’ve collected over the years. Please feel free to offer more of your own…!
- Before you put yourself in someone else’s shoes, you first have to take off your own
- No one can make you feel bad without your consent
- Seek progress, rather than perfection
- Enjoy living: you’re a long time gone
- You may delay – but time won’t
- Everyone is motivated. The question is – to do what?
- Who are you? Your own best friend, or your own worst enemy?
- Don’t look where you fell – look where you slipped (African proverb)
- All things are difficult before they become easy
- You cannot control the length of your life, but you can control its breadth and its depth.
- We are all moving in the direction of our beliefs
- Logic proves: intuition discovers
- We are what we repeatedly do
- Choice, consequence, responsibility
- I have choices in my life….one of which is……to have choices in my life….
- The laws of urgency:
- 1 if you prioritise by urgent,everything becomes urgent, even the important.
- 2 some important happens too late.
- 3 some important never happens at all.
- 4 others think that what you choose to spend your time on must be important, rather than urgent
- You always take the weather with you
- You cannot change the provocation, but you can change
- Winning starts with beginning
- Responsibility = response-ability
- Capability = cope-ability
- Do what you want – but want what you do
- If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get
what you’ve always got
- Whatever you believe, you give yourself permission
- “Someone gave me this glass. I really like this glass. It holds water admirably, and it glistens in the sunlight. I touch it and it rings. One day the wind may blow it off my shelf, or my elbow may knock it from my table. I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it incredibly” (Achaan Chah Subato)
- It’s hard to fight an enemy who has an outpost in your head
- We are connected in invisible ways to our fears. We are the puppet, and the puppeteer: the victims of our own expectations
- We want the facts to fit our preconceptions. When they don’t, it’s easier to ignore the facts than change our preconceptions
- Reality is a mirror of your own perception
- Things do not change: we change
- You get back what you give out
- A single fantasy can transform a million realities
- We may hate change – yet it’s the only thing that brings progress
- Take responsibility for your attitude – don’t let someone else choose it for you
- The problem is not to learn – but to unlearn (Gloria Steinem)
- Stop trying: start doing
- F – fantasy
E – expressed
A – as
R – reality
- When we say:“there isn’t enough time”, we usually mean: “it isn’t enough of a priority”
- Conscience is like a guard dog: you can slip past it, but you can’t stop it barking
- If not you, who? If not now, when?
- Release your past…free your present…and liberate your future…..
…by letting go
- In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia
- A mind stretched to a new idea never returns to its original dimension
- Remember: Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did – but backwards and in high heels!
- How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
- Pain is inevitable: suffering is optional
- A yawn is nature’s way of giving the person listening an opportunity to open their mouth
- It’s all right to hold a conversation, but you should let go of it now and then.
- No one ever washed a hired car
- There’s nothing left in my right brain, and there’s nothing right in my left brain.
- Your karma has just run over my dogma
- We who laugh – last!